Having a good grasp of the past shapes the future in responding to any emerging problems one might have already faced. This is because the past many times influences the present and the future. Understanding the past, which is basically the study of history, requires one to find a lot of information from various sources like books, newspapers, letters, and artifacts, among others. However, a degree in history will equip you with the skills to pursue this information and use it to solve real-world problems. Today, the job market globally is in dire need of professionals with crucial skills like information interpretation, persuasive arguments, and well-written research. As you pursue your online degree in history, you can gain the following skills.
Reasons to pursue an online bachelors in History
- Learn tackle future problems!
It’s always important to learn from history to avoid repeats of the same mistakes. Studying history enables one to understand various things like cultural diversity and the origin of numerous phenomena in the world. While some aspects are painful to revisit, it would be equally important to understand how different events occurred in order to come up with preventive strategies. Many world problems have a connection to history, and historians play a significant role in providing such a connection.
- Earn skills like research, writing, and analysis
These are some of the few skills that are in high demand by employers in every sector. Having transferable skills in today’s job market is important and beneficial to any professional. Therefore, having a firm base on such skills allows you to penetrate into your career.
- Become extra useful in the business world.
Historians are well-equipped with information on how to handle a societal impact both in the financial gain and non-financial issues. Thus, your career will be very useful to people in the business sector. Further, acquiring skills in history cultivates a sense of social responsibility, strong intellectual skills, and practical skills essential in almost all professional areas. Proper communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills acquired from studying history come in handy when dealing with real-world issues.
If you need help finding a college or university that offers your degree of choice, we can help. Click here to use our search engine to find your favorite program. Meanwhile, let’s look at the top universities and colleges offering an online Bachelor’s in History.
Best 15 Online Bachelor’s in History
1. Fort Hays State University – Hays, Kansas (89 points)
Fort Hays State University is a public-owned higher learning institution offering both online and on-campus bachelor’s degrees in history at an affordable cost to all its students. The school allows every student to specialize in an area of their choice. Some of the courses offered include a broad survey of the world civilization, U.S history, and research methodologies. The duration of the course is dependent on a student’s area of specialization, but generally, it takes around two years to complete the course.
- The tuition fee is approximately $5,280 per year
- The acceptance rate is 91%
- The graduation rate is 71%
2. Clayton State University, Morrow, Georgia (86 points)
Clayton State University is a publicly owned university that offers an online bachelor’s degree in history in its department of humanities. The course can be facilitated fully online. The course prepares learners for various roles in a wider range of career choices such as philosophy, law, and education. It covers topics like recent world history, historical methods, and critical repeated trends in the modern world.
- The tuition fee is approximately $5538 per year
- The graduation rate is 49%
- The acceptance rate is 51%
3. University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida (84 points)
The University of Central Florida is a public university that offers excellent educational services to all students both on-campus and online. The students are able to tell past stories through recreated digital media. The programs take at least 39 classes which are approximately 120 credit hours. The lectures on campus also offer their educational services online, therefore setting an equal standard of education for both parties.
- The tuition fee per year is approximately $6,368 per year
- The graduation rate is 75%
- The acceptance rate is 44%
4. Florida International University, Miami, Florida (81points)
Florida International University offers an online bachelor’s degree in history. The school has a good reputation for providing quality education that allows students to easily penetrate into the job market. The program is flexible for the working students, and it’s designed to equip them with skills for great communication and have an investigative eye. The online course covers an array of topics like Greek history, abuse of power in colonial Latin America as well as Black deaths.
- The tuition fee is estimated at $6,565 per year
- The graduation rate is 72%
- The acceptance rate is 58%
5. Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas (77 points)
Sam Houston State University is one of the oldest public institutions known to offer high-quality education. They offer an online Bachelor of Arts degree in history that requires a minimum of 120 credit hours, completed over eight semesters. Students can enroll between fall and spring. Some courses offered include contemporary Latin, Russian history, and civil rights movements.
- The tuition fee is estimated at $8,536per year
- The graduation rate is 67%
- The acceptance rate is 83%
6. The University of Louisiana at Monroe, Louisiana (76 points)
The University of Louisiana Monroe is a public university whose programs also include an online Bachelor of Arts degree in history. It equips students with skills in information analysis and research. Also, learners get equipped with information about past events and how to solve related word challenges from a historical [perspective. To graduate, one should complete 120 credit hours, and the course takes at least four years to complete. About 90% of students land jobs within 60 days of graduation.
- The tuition fee is $8,974 per year
- The graduation rate is 47%
- The acceptance rate is 79%
7. University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee (75 points)
The University of Memphis is a reputable university in Tennessee whose programs include an online Bachelor of Arts degree in history, completely done virtually. To graduate, students should do 120 credit hours. Learners not only access the school’s online library but also access students’ services as well as tutoring. The students have to master core American historical events and world history in addition to the elective credits within the major. Moreover, students benefit from the faculty’s expertise, especially those who specialize in medieval Europe, Asia, women, and gender.
- The tuition fee is estimated at $9,912 per year
- The graduation rate is 41%
- The acceptance rate is 85%
8. The University of North Alabama, Florence, Alabama (73 points)
The University of North Alabama is a public university in Alabama whose programs also offer a Bachelor of Arts in History as well as Bachelor of Science in History on-campus and online. The programs, which also include senior thesis, require an uptake of at least 120 credit hours. The course is completed in 4 years.
- The tuition fee is approximately $10,620 per year
- The graduation rate is 40%
- The acceptance rate is 89%
9. Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona (71 points)
Arizona State University is a public university whose programs include an online Bachelor of Arts in History. The school offers credible education, and it has been ranked number one as the most innovative school in the U.S by the U.S News and World report. The school’s curriculum ensures that students have a strong foundation in the human subject. The program is transfer-friendly. To graduate, a student should complete at least 120 credit hours.
- The tuition fee is approximately $11,338 per year
- The graduation rate is 67%
- The acceptance rate is 87%
10. Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon (68 points)
Oregon state university is a publicly owned institution that offers an online Bachelor’s degree in history. The program requires students to do about 180 credits to graduate. All the online classes are taught by tutors who also teach on-campus lectures. Some of the courses offered are middle and early modern slavery in the Americas and western civilizations, ancient civilizations, and Jewish traditions.
- The tuition fee is approximately $11,715 per year
- The graduation rate is 63%
- The acceptance rate is 82%
11. The University of Illinois, Springfield, Illinois (66 points)
The University of Illinois is a public university that offers an online Bachelor’s program in history. The course enables students to experience an interactive, diverse, and flexible program on the online platform. The timetable is so flexible to suit all the students’ busy schedules. The program requires the students to complete three credit hours within the major that includes topics in Ancient sports, the rise of Rome, and warfare.
- The tuition fee is estimated at $11,813 per year
- The graduation rate is 66%
- The acceptance rate is 77%
12. National University, San Diego, California (63 points)
National University is a private university that provides credible and affordable education to its students. It offers a fully online Bachelor’s degree in history. The school’s program is strict since the school expects a student to have proper research skills to do research like a historian. Some of the courses required for the major include the global economy, world religion, global capitalism, and California culture and history.
- The tuition is approximately $13,320 per year
- The graduation rate is 13%
- The acceptance rate is 89%
13. Regent University, Virginia Beach, Virginia (60 points)
Regent University is a private Christian university offering an online Bachelor’s degree in history, among its other programs. The history program is offered based on a Christian perspective but with major attention to awareness and leadership from a global perspective. It is compulsory for students to take a senior seminar in history. Some of the topics covered under the course are western civilization, United States history, and world history.
- The tuition fee is approximately $18,620 per year
- The acceptance rate is 86%
- The graduation rate is 28%
14. Liberty University, Lynchburg, Virginia (58 points)
Liberty University is a private university offering an online bachelor’s course in history, among its other programs. The program’s semesters run within a duration of 8 weeks, and it takes less than four years to complete. Some of the potential career options for students include library assistant, museum professional, and historical instructor. The skills acquired also enable a student to thrive as a history specialist or a historian.
- The tuition fee is approximately $22,747
- The graduation rate is 34%
- The acceptance rate is 51%
15. Sterling College, Sterling, Kansas (56 points)
Sterling College is a Christian college providing liberal arts among them being the online bachelor’s course in history. The program is designed to prepare the students for careers in any history-related field like a historical lawyer or a museum professional. Some of the topics students do include Kansas History and government and the Civil war era. The course is versatile and highly favors people who are unsure of their career path. Other ideal careers for students pursuing this course include historical lecturers, librarians, lawyers, and researchers such as archeologists consultants.
- The tuition fee is approximately $27,300 per year
- The acceptance rate is 40%
- The graduation rate is 44%
Our ranking method
The ranking was based on the examination of top software data from the U.S. National Center for Education and other accredited university websites. The universities were graded according to their acceptance rates and tuition fees. Both factors were accorded 50 points, and each school was awarded points according to the variance between tuition fees and acceptance rate. The points received for both ranking determinants were added together to get each school’s total score. The school with the most points ranked first in the list, and the points were accorded down the list consequently. Where there was a tie, the graduation rate was also used as a factor of ranking.
We are always committed to providing factual information to our readers. If you are linked with any of the schools we, and you noticed an error in the data provided, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us and let us know so that we can make necessary corrections.