An online bachelor’s degree in social science focuses on all aspects of humanity. It might be from social life, people’s behaviors, and how they affect the world, cultures, gender, class, race, and social work. Additionally, social science prepares students in a range of academic areas like psychology, political science, linguistics, sociology, economics, history, and geography. Although the course covers a range of careers, it fundamentally deals with society and human interactions.
Why should you pursue Bachelor’s degree in Social Science?
Research indicates that for every ten graduates, four of them hold a degree in social science. This doesn’t come as a surprise considering the integral role played by the course across the globe. Despite the high numbers, social science has remained a highly demanded course around the world. Below are some of the benefits of pursuing a bachelor’s degree in social science.
- Equips you with diverse knowledge required to positively impact the world: A degree in social science offers you a fascinating experience as well as preparing you for opportunities and challenges existing in the contemporary world. Importantly, the course equips you with knowledge on how to deal with real-world issues and how to critically challenge social problems.
- Flexible career options: A degree in social science covers a wider area of fields. The social science umbrella broadens one’s subject knowledge that includes politics, sociology, criminology, finance, statistics, psychology, law, economics, anthropology, among others. Social science courses equip students with transferable skills that are open to many career options.
- Social science included economics: Economics is one of the most sought courses in the world because knowledge and skills learned from it can be applied across the world. Banks, government, engineering firms, education, retail, health, and aid agencies are areas where economics is ever applied. The course can also be easily combined with other subjects, making it a popular option for individuals who are seeking to study a combined social science course.
- Compatible foundation courses: For success in any course, foundation courses are always the primary considerations. Foundation courses ensure that the students achieve the right level of knowledge, confidence, and qualifications before getting to the course’s advanced stages. Properly taught and understood foundation courses ensure a smooth transition within the various subjects of the course and the ultimate success.
If you need help finding a college or university that offers your degree of choice, we can help. Click here to use our search engine to find your favorite program. Below are the best schools offering an online bachelor’s in Social Science.
Best 15 Online Bachelor’s in Social Science
1. University of Central Florida (97 points)
The University of Central Florida is a metropolitan research institution situated in downtown Orlando, Florida. With an intake rate of 66,000, its main campus is the largest single-campus enrollment in the U.S. The school has 13 colleges, offering more than 230-degree programs that include online social science courses like political science, communication, education, and business administration, among others. It is ranked in the top 15 online programs by the U.S. News and World Report, which offers affordable and accessible education to everyone and high-quality degrees. It offers more than 20 accredited bachelor’s programs and 35 minor options fully online. The school’s Bachelor’s degree requires 120 credit hours of studies done in 4 years for one to graduate. The student-faculty ratio is 30:1, and the gender distribution is 55% female and 45%, male.
- Tuition fee is estimated at $5,375 (in-state) per year, and $21,474 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 65%
- The acceptance rate is 44
2. University of Washington-Seattle Campus (93 points)
The University of Washington-Seattle Campus is a world-class public university based in the Puget Sound metro, Washington. The university provides a high-quality education to more than 46,000 students per year and houses one of the world’s largest libraries. It has three campus locations offering 606 programs full-time and part-time and 100% online, including the Bachelor of Arts in integrated social science. Some of the dynamic social sciences courses offered are anthropology, communication, economics, ethnic studies, geography, history, international relations, philosophy, political science, sociology, and women’s studies. The majority of full-time students complete the program in two years, while part-time students take three to four years.. The program requires a total of 180 credits before a student graduates with a bachelor’s degree. The student-to-faculty ratio is 21:1, with 54% being female students and 46% being male students.
- Tuition fee is $6,916 (in-state), $25,759 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 84%
- The acceptance rate is 44%
3. Dickinson State University (90 points)
Dickinson State University is a regional four-year university located in Dickinson, North Dakota. It offers a four-year bachelor’s degree in social science, including online, whose courses equip students with skills and tools used to formulate economic and government policies. The school offers students a body of knowledge and the analytical and critical thinking tools that are essential for successful careers like education, government, and the private sector. The student-faculty ratio is 12:1, and the gender distribution among students is 62% female and 38%, male. The program requires 120 credit hours before a student graduates.
- Tuition fee is $6,554 (in-state), $9,226 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 41%
- The acceptance rate is 100%
4. Brandman University (89 points)
Brandman University is a small private institution located in Irvine, California. The school offers a special social science degree program whose extensive courses are also available 100% online since the 2008-2009 academic year. The school’s total intake is about 3,316 students with online enrollment taking 474 students. The institution operates based on a competency-based academic model in offering more than 30 undergraduate programs. The student-faculty ratio is 13:1, and gender distribution is 62.3% female and 37.7% male.
- The tuition fee is $12,060 per year
- The graduation rate is 60 %
- The acceptance rate is 98%
5. New York University (85 points)
New York University is widely known as the school with one of the best social science departments in the United States. The university offers online classes courses like sociology, anthropology, politics, economics, linguistics, and Journalism. Its online courses are offered through asynchronous format, though some may require discussion sessions and virtual meetings. The school’s total enrollment is about 12,995 per year. Applicants for the course must have 60 transferable college credits or an associate degree. The student-faculty ratio is 9:1, and gender distribution among students is 58% female and 48% male.
- The tuition fee is $54,880 per year
- The graduation rate is 85 %
- The acceptance rate is 16%
6. Troy University (83 points)
Troy University’s Social Science major will prepare you to understand and contribute to society in a meaningful way by applying critical and creative thinking, technology and an interdisciplinary perspective to solving practical problems. As a student of social science, you will learn to analyze societal issues, identify improvements, and recommend solutions using statistics and data analysis. You’ll learn to communicate effectively and to evaluate individual and community needs. As you develop the ability to analyze complex social problems, you will become able to work toward realistic solutions using awareness, acceptance and appreciation of diversity, social factors and global multicultural perspectives.
At TROY Online, they understand how difficult it is to balance work, family, and your education. That is why their online programs give you the choice to learn when and where it is best for you. TROY offers a variety of online undergraduate and graduate degrees. Classes last 9 weeks, as opposed to the traditional 16-week semester. So, you could have your first class behind you and be one step closer to having your college degree in just a few weeks.
- Tuition fee is $21,878 (in-state), $29,678 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 47 %
- The acceptance rate is 88%
7. Washington State University (77 points)
Washington State University is a top-rated research university that offers an online social science degree program with several specialization opportunities. The program focuses on 12 concentrations emphasizing areas such as human development, comparative ethnic studies, and administrative studies. The course equips students with marketable skills that employers value, including critical thinking and analysis, cultural awareness and sensitivity, and effective communication skills. The school’s total enrollment is about 26,062 per year. To earn a bachelor’s degree, students must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours. The student-to-faculty ratio is 16:1, and the gender distribution is 53% female and 47% male.
- Tuition fee is $12,170 (in-state), $27,113 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 60 %
- The acceptance rate is 76%
8. Roger Williams University (74 points)
Roger Williams University is a private institution in Bristol, Rhode Island. The university offers a unique online bachelor’s degree in social science, allowing diverse students across the globe to earn a degree education. The course explores areas like politics, culture, history, and humanities. The course requires a total of 120 credit hours for a student to graduate. The school’s total enrollment is about 4,523 per year. The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1, and the gender distribution is 51% female and 49% male.
- The tuition fee is $38,274 per year
- The graduation rate is 67 %
- The acceptance rate is 85%
9. Kansas State University (73 points)
Kansas State University is a global campus in Anderson Hall, Manhattan, Kansas. The school offers a fully online bachelor’s degree in social science. The courses enable students to examine how human behaviors and interactions affect various institutions in society. The department of social sciences demands students to choose at least four disciplines of specialization out of the nine areas. Students are required to complete 120 credit hours to graduate. The school’s total enrollment is about 17,210 annually. The student-faculty ratio is 18:1. At the same time, the gender distribution among students is 48% female and 52% male.
- Tuition fee is $10,466 (in-state), $26,342 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 65 %
- The acceptance rate is 96%
10. California State University at Chico (69 points)
California State University at Chico is in Chico, California, and it offers fully online classes in Bachelor of arts social science. The program is divided into two sections: Interdisciplinary Studies and Multidisciplinary Studies. Both options are available for long distant learners and can be completed through careful consultation and planning with an adviser. The program requires a student to complete 120 credit hours to graduate. The school’s total enrollment is about 16,099 per year. The student-faculty ratio is 23:1, and the gender distribution is 53% female and 47%, male.
- Tuition fee- $7,864 (in-state), $19,744(out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate- 67 %
- The acceptance rate is 72%
11. Southeast Missouri State University (65 points)
Southeast Missouri State University is a comprehensive higher learning institution based in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and it has several national and international academic accreditations. The university offers a bachelor’s degree in social science, which is 100% online. The school offers its students a flexible as well as a significant area of concentration. Some of the programs offered include sociology, psychology, criminal justice, political science, economics, and anthropology. Students of Southeast Missouri State University are required to complete 120 credit hours before graduating. An estimated 85% of the school’s graduates are employed or at the graduate level. The school’s total enrollment is about 9,524 per year. The student-to-faculty ratio is 19:1, and the gender distribution is 59% female and 41%, male.
- Tuition fee is $8,033 (in-state), $14,205 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 50 %
- The acceptance rate is 86%
12. University of Maine Augusta (63 points)
The University of Maine Augusta is in Augusta and the third-largest public university in the State of Maine. It offers a bachelor’s degree in social science, which has an online option for long-distance learners. The school courses aimed at teaching students about the relationship shared between communities, individuals, and societies. Students have to finish a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate. The school’s total enrollment is about 4,361 per year.
The student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1, and the gender distribution among students is 60% female and 40% male.
- Tuition fee is $8,378(in-state), $18,788(out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 13 %
- The acceptance rate is 90%
13. University of Nevada-Las Vegas (56 points)
The University of Nevada-Las Vegas is in Las Vegas, founded in Nevada, and is an urban research institution established in 1957. The university offers a bachelor’s degree in social science with an online option. Students must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate from the program, which meets the requisite expertise in the field of social sciences. The school’s total enrollment is about 25,831 per year. The student-faculty ratio is 20:1, and the gender distribution is 43% female and 57% male.
- Tuition fee is $8,685 (in-state), $24,338(out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 45 %
- The acceptance rate is 81%
14. University of Alaska Southeast (51 points)
The University of Alaska Southeast, based in Juneau, Alaska, is a regional university with various campuses offering high-quality education to their respective communities in addition to online programs, including social science. A bachelor’s degree in social science focuses on contemporary methods, applications of mathematics, histography, archeology, among others. This course requires learners to complete a minimum of 120 credit hours before graduating. The school’s total enrollment is about 1,886 per year. There is a 9:1 student-to-faculty ratio., and the gender distribution is 67% female and 33%, male.
- Tuition fee is $8,685 (in-state), $21,096(out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 45 %
- The acceptance rate is 61%
15. University of Hawai’i – West O’ahu (48 points)
The University of Hawai’i – West O’ahu based in Hawaii, has ten campuses within the State and offers an online social science degree. Students can choose up to three courses- political science, childhood education, and psychology. Each of the three courses requires 15 weeks and 120 credits for a student to graduate. The school’s total enrollment is about 3,049 per year. There is a 18:1 student-to-faculty ratio., and the gender distribution is 66% female and 34%, male.
- Tuition fee is $7,584 (in-state), $20,544 (out-of-state) per year
- The graduation rate is 32 %
- The acceptance rate is 84%
The best software data from the U.S. Department of Education’s College Scorecard and the corresponding university websites were used to compile these rankings. The schools were ranked according to their annual tuition costs and graduation rates. Both were given 50 points, and each school was given points based on how it compared to others in terms of tuition and graduation rates. The cumulative score for each school was calculated by adding the points received for both ranking factors. When there was a tie, the acceptance rate was also taken into account when ranking.
We make every effort to provide our readers with up-to-date and reliable information. If you’re affiliated with one of the schools mentioned above and see a mistake or something that needs to be updated in the information given, please contact us so we can make the required changes.