Texas may be best known for its lone, solitary star, but it is anything but small. Texas, which is recognized as the largest of the contiguous 48 states (and second-largest state ranking only behind Alaska), is an amazing conglomeration of diverse cities and towns – some small identified by only a single traffic light, some enormous – many with outstanding educational opportunities.
In addition to its funky capital of Austin, Texas offers many large cities that seem to live on the cutting-edge of the world’s beauty scene. It is for this reason that cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and of course, Austin are home to some of Texas’ very best (and very often, most affordable) cosmetology schools where professionals learn to craft their expertise.
Students enrolled in programs offered by the many cosmetology schools in Texas that must teach from a TDLR-approved curriculum (Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation) include these topics, among others –
- Sanitation procedures.
- The importance and implementation of disinfection and safety processes.
- Haircutting & hairstyling.
- The conditioning of hair.
- Scalp massage, to name a few.
If you wish to practice cosmetology as a licensed professional in the Lone Star State, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) oversees the requirements and licensing administration. Before an applicant can even apply for a cosmetology license in Texas, they must meet these requirements.
- Hold a high school diploma (or equivalent)
- Complete 1,000 (minimum) hours of relevant training from one of the many quality, licensed cosmetology schools in Texas.
- Submit a $50 license fee when passing both exams
The Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations (and the Division of Cosmetology more specifically ) is located in Austin, with representatives available by phone at 512-463-6599 or by email.
Let’s review a cross-section of some of the best and most affordable cosmetology schools in Texas to help students refine their cosmetology school choices in Texas.
Best 14 Cosmetology Schools in Texas
Cosmetology schools in Texas are found across Texas, which is good news to those students who wish to earn their cosmetology license and work in the Lone Star State. Considering the number of available cosmetology schools in Texas, the list of fifteen schools is simply a smattering of some of the available and exceptional options for cosmetology students residing in Texas.
1. Panola College – Carthage & Center, TX
Panola College, established in 1947, is one of the many quality cosmetology schools in Texas. This full-time cosmetology degree program from Panola College offers an affordable education option for in-district residents. Students graduating from Panola College’s 36 credit cosmetology certificate program are eligible to sit for the state licensing exam. Classes include an introduction to the chemistry of hair color, advanced hair design, and the artistry of hair design, to name a few.
- Program Tuition – $ 2,808 (Panola County Resident – 36 credits)
- Program Length – 12 months or about three semesters of full-time training
- Student Enrollment – 2,599 students
2. Lone Star College (LSC) – Kingwood & North Harris, TX
Lone Star College, one of the top cosmetology schools in Texas, offers two state-approved cosmetology programs in North Harris or Kingwood, Texas. Lone Star College’s Associate of Applied Science degree (AAS) and its certificate program in cosmetology prepares students for exciting careers as a hairstylist, makeup artist, or fashion show expert, as does the cosmetology certificate program.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 3,418 Certificate Program (In-district Resident Certificate) – $ 5,400 AAS Degree Program (In district Resident AAS program)
- Program Length – 18 to 24 Months for AAS degree (60 credits) – 12 months for the certificate program (35 credits)
- Student Enrollment – 74,300 students
3. Palo Alto College (PAC) – San Antonio, TX
Located in San Antonio, Palo Alto College offers two cosmetology programs from one of the top cosmetology programs in Texas. Palo Alto College offers a cosmetology certificate level 2 program or an AAS degree as an operator or esthetician that prepares students to sit for the cosmetology licensing exam. Classes for this degree include fundamentals of cosmetology, hair color theory, and introduction to haircutting theory, among others.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $3,564 Certificate Program (In District Resident) or $7,740 (In state Resident) – $5,940 AAS Degree Program (In District Resident) or $12,900 (In state Resident)
- Program Length – 12 Months Certificate Program (36 credit units to complete) – 24 months AAS degree (60 credit units to complete)
- Student Enrollment – 10,763 students
4. Galveston College
Galveston College is one of the many cosmetology schools in Texas that offers two cosmetology program options. Students can choose to be eligible to sit for the state licensing exam in one year with Galveston College’s certificate program or two years for the Associate in Applied Science degree (AAS) in cosmetology.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 7,560 Certificate Program (Texas Resident) – $ 10,800 AAS Degree Program (Texas Resident)
- Program Length – Level 1 Cosmetology Certificate -12 months – 2 Years for AAS in Cosmetology Degree Program
- Student Enrollment – 2,306 students
5. Central Texas Beauty College (CTBC) – Round Rock & Temple, TX
Central Texas Beauty College operates two campuses as one of the finest cosmetology schools in Texas. CTBC boasts a 100% pass rate for the state Cosmetology exam for the past decade! CTBC’s cosmetology program covers 1,000 hours in classes like coloring, chemistry, styling, haircutting, nails, and esthetics among others. CTBC also offers a manicuring and instructor course, as well as a 300 hour Barber crossover course.
- Total Cosmetology Program Tuition Costs – $7,000
- Program Length – 34 weeks at 30 hours per week
- Student Enrollment – 176 students on both Texas campuses
6. Franklin Beauty School
Franklin Beauty School, located in Houston with two campuses, is considered among the best cosmetology schools in Texas that were established in 1915 by Nobia Franklin in her home in San Antonio. Additionally, Franklin Beauty offers cosmetology classes part-time, full-time, evenings, and during the day, plus they are available in English and Spanish. The school also provides a refresher course and a 200 hour Barber to Cosmetologist program.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 12,000
- Program Length – 12 Months
- Additional Costs – 195 students
7. Paul Mitchell, the School
Paul Mitchell, the School, located in Austin, offers one of the top cosmetology programs in Texas that even provides students with an iPad to help in their professional success. Paul Mitchell, The School, has received accreditation from the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences and offers a comprehensive program divided into two phases – the first part covers the core, adaptive and creative aspects of the field while the second phase is devoted to the application of techniques learned in the class and online.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 13,000
- Program Length – Full-time student finish in about 7.5 months, Part-time students finish the program in about 9 Months
- Student Enrollment – 140 students
8. The Ogle School of Hair, Skin & Nails (OSHSN) – Several Locations in Texas
Located in Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Hurst, Stafford, Houston, Denton, and San Antonio, the Ogle School of Hair, Skin & Nails offers a state-approved cosmetology program that prepares students for careers as a hairstylist, salon owner, platform artist, makeup educator, or fashion show stylist to name a few. Students may attend one of the top cosmetology schools in Texas on a full-time, or part-time basis, choosing between day or nighttime classes.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 13,200
- Program Length – 7 months as a full-time student (with an average of 11 months) – 13 Months studying part-time
- Student Enrollment – approximately 2,200 students on all eight Texas campuses.
9. The Texas College of Cosmetology – Lubbock, Abilene, San Angelo, TX
From its Abilene, Lubbock, and San Angelo campuses, the Texas College of Cosmetology is recognized as one of the best cosmetology schools in Texas. This full-time cosmetology degree program can be finished in 11 months and is approved by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences. The cosmetology course from the Texas College of Cosmetology requires a total of 1,500 clock hours to complete.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 13,250
- Program Length – 11 Months, with an average of 55 weeks to completion
- Student Enrollment – 136 students
10. The Milan Institute & Milan Institute of Cosmetology – Amarillo, El Paso & San Antonio, TX
Located in Amarillo, El Paso and two locations in San Antonio, the Milan Institute offers beauty programs in Cosmetology, Esthetician, and Manicurist. Check location for specific program offerings. Milan Institute & Milan Institute of Cosmetology are Nationally Accredited Institutions, family-owned, and providing quality education for over 35 years.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – tuition varies by campus location and program. Please contact the campus of interest for specific information.
- Program Length – program length varies by program. Please contact the campus of interest for specific information.
- Student Enrollment – 456 students for all Texas locations.
11. Vogue College of Cosmetology
Vogue College of Cosmetology operates multiple campuses in McAllen, Lubbock, and San Antonio, Texas. This 1,600-hour program is offered by one of the top cosmetology programs in Texas is available as a full-time or part-time program. Classes cover topics in hair cutting, coloring, and styling, plus nail and skin care and career development options.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $13,975
- Program Length – approximately 11 months.
- Student Enrollment – approximately 550 students across Texas
12. Aveda Arts & Sciences Institutes (Aveda) – San Antonio, TX
Aveda Arts & Sciences Institutes offers a cosmetology course that begins every ten weeks. Students graduate from one of the top cosmetology schools in Texas prepared for exciting careers as a hair show colorist, a platform artist, an educator, or a salon owner, to name a few. Aveda’s cosmetology program requires the completion of 1,500 clock hours to meet program requirements. Aveda offers specialized concentrations in business, hair texturing, makeup, coloring, styling, wellness, and nails.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 16,500
- Program Length – 11 – 12 months
- Student Enrollment – 324 students
13. Avenue Five Institute (AFI) – Austin, TX
With dual Austin locations, Avenue Five Institute is one of the top cosmetology schools in Texas that offers several cosmetology related programs that are available for part-time and full-time students. In fact, Avenue Five Institute, a Wella Signature School, has been named the most awarded school by Modern Salon in a number of categories. Avenue Five Institute has received accreditation from the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – $ 18,300
- Program Length – Full time is 29 weeks, Part-time is about one year.
- Student Enrollment – 380 students for both Austin campuses
14. The International Beauty College (IBC) – Garland, TX
The International Beauty College is one of the top cosmetology schools in Texas that offers a ten-month cosmetology program that can be completed in only ten months; however, part-time programs are available as well. The International Beauty School has received accreditation from the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences.
- Total Program Tuition Costs – 9,825
- Program Length – 10 months if attending full-time
- Student Enrollment – 35 students
Our Ranking Methodology
The cosmetology schools in Texas listed above include a cross-section of the available cosmetology programs offered by the many public and private cosmetology schools in Texas. Note that the schools are ranked in accordance with how affordable the program is compared to other schools listed – with the most cost-effective cosmetology schools in Texas listed first.
Program costs are for the school year of 2020 to 2021, although several schools have only disclosed tuition information for the previous school calendar. All data for this analysis of cosmetology schools in Texas was revealed on the school’s website or the National Center for Education Statistics’ (NCES) website.
In addition, students are provided with information regarding the course length, total program fees, and the student enrollment to data to help refine a student’s education and career objectives. For more information, check out our best cosmetology schools page.
Would you Like to Update the Information for a School Noted Above
Please contact BestValueSchools.org if you want to update, edit or comment on the data and information provided. Thank you in advance for your help.