Earning a Business Law degree can open many doors for a successful career in a wide variety of arenas. Business Law can take many forms including fields that heavily focus on negotiations, accounting, finance, economics, or taxation. Because there are so many possibilities to explore Business Law, this degree can be easily modified and customized for perspective students interested in learning more about the legality behind business transactions.
What is A Business Law Degree?
A Business Law degree may take several different forms depending on the college or university you attend. Some schools offer a very specific course curriculum that is dedicated to business law, focusing heavily on transactions, taxation, and organization within a business entity. Other schools will give students the fundamentals needed for a law degree, while allowing students to pair their degree with an MBA. This gives students an unparalleled insight into business operations so that they may better apply their legal background to make better informed and more helpful decisions that impact the business as a whole.
What Are The Benefits?
Earning a Business Law degree has several benefits. As a trained and board certified lawyer, you will be able to represent clients independently, or work as a full time lawyer for a corporation. Business attorneys have insight into the way a company works and are able to closely examine the practices surrounding taxation, representation through business transactions, and management. Further, business attorneys can focus their studies in accounting, finance, economics, or management to become effective and informed leaders in a number of corporations.
What is the Outlook And Salary?
Earning a Business Law degree can help set you up for a successful career. The job outlook for business attorneys is increasing by 4% year over year, making this a faster than average job growth rate. Further, business lawyers have a lucrative income with the national average salary around $122,000 per year. However, with the increase in number of positions for business attorneys, expect competition for jobs to be at a premium in the coming years as more students graduate with this desirable degree.
The Best Business Law Degree Programs
Deciding where to go to earn your Business Law degree can be challenging with so much riding on the line. Looking at the available schools for your degree can be overwhelming; how do you even know where to start? Luckily, we have put together a list of the top 15 schools to earn a Business Law degree for you to browse.
15 Best Business Law Degrees
1. Baylor University – Waco, Texas (28 Points)
The Business Law degree offered from Baylor University gives students the opportunity to enroll in a traditional law school with a focus on Business Law. The school offers a Business Law boot camp option for students who are interested in pursuing a degree with a concentration focusing on business transactions and their implications. The week long boot camp is offered between the spring and summer quarters for students who are interested.
Baylor University boasts having one of the longest serving Deans of the law department, offering students a tremendous program with ongoing stability and a history of professionalism.
- Tuition: $1,737 per credit
- Application Requirements: LSAT Scores, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, Addenda, Resume
2. Albany Law School – Albany, New York (26 Points)
Albany Law School offers students a business focused law degree, allowing students to focus their concentration on business transactions and communications. The Business Law degree consists of 18 credits, with several possible courses for law students. Classes consist of Business Basics, Business Organizations, and Introduction to Taxation. Students can also choose from several elective courses including Bankruptcy and Federal Taxation courses.
For graduation students must participate in at least one experimental program offered at the school, as well as complete a writing intensive study. To satisfy the writing requirement students should write a meaningful article that contributes to their area of concentration.
- Tuition: $2,075 per credit
- Application Requirements: Bachelor Degree, LSAT/GRE, Resume, Personal Statement, Character and Fitness, Diversity Statement, Transcripts, Financial Documentation
3. Boston College – Boston, Massachusetts (24 Points)
The Law program offered at Boston College offers students several different concentration options including Business Law. Students are encouraged to develop specialized knowledge in their specific concentration, while still diversifying studies to make students well-rounded law professionals. With a specialized law degree students will also sharpen practical skills that can be applicable in students’ chosen career path.
Students are encouraged to pay close attention to when various courses are offered. While basic fundamental courses may be offered once or twice per year, specialized courses may only be offered every two years so students are encouraged to enroll in specialized classes when they are offered.
- Tuition: $1,732 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, LSAT Scores, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement
4. University of Pennsylvania – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (22 Points)
The University of Pennsylvania offers a comprehensive law degree that has a concentration in Business Law. Students will have the opportunity to take several courses that allow students to learn about Business Law including International Business Transactions, Legal Aspects of Entrepreneurialism, and Business Strategy and Corporate Law.
Students who decide to focus their law degree in Business Law will also have the opportunity for clinical study, journal publication, and the chance to pursue a joint law degree with an Economics, Public Policy, and Business Management degree.
- Tuition: $2,025 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, LSAT Scores, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, Statement of Purpose, Resume
5. Boston University – Boston, Massachusetts (21 Points)
The Business Law degree offered from Boston University allows students to focus on American Business Law, learning about taxation laws and business transactions. This degree highlights American law and is perfect for both international students and native American students. Although this degree is perfect for students interested in pursuing a law degree with a business concentration, it is also helpful for international students to learn about the ways in which American lawyers are trained to look at and examine cases.
By completing your studies at Boston University students are guaranteed an internship following graduation through the American Law Internship Program. This will give students the applicable experience and training necessary in the real world to further purse their career goals following graduation.
- Tuition: $1,740 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, LSAT Scores, Bachelor degree and Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, GRE Scores, Optional Essay, Resume, Register with CAS
6. Vanderbilt University – Nashville, Tennessee (19 Points)
The program offered at Vanderbilt University for Business Law students offers the opportunity for students to pursue a concentration in the field they are interested in while still managing to graduate in a timely manner. The Business Law degree from Vanderbilt is still a three year program, comparable to other law programs. Students have the opportunity to pursue a degree concentrating in Business Law, Business Management, and Accounting and Finance.
Students will complete five courses that are within the core curriculum for law study, as well as three elective courses that are related to the students’ focused concentration. Students will have experience with both transactional courses, as well as seminars, to ensure their law studies are well-rounded, preparing them for a career in the legal world.
- Tuition: $2,481 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, LSAT Scores, Register with LCAS, In Person Interview
7. University of California – Berkeley – Berkeley, California (17 Points)
The University of California – Berkeley has an exciting opportunity for students wishing to pursue a degree in Business Law. This program is fast paced and challenging, offering plenty of elective courses for students to create a degree that suits their interests and focused concentration in Business Law.
The program is set up to allow students to learn the necessary skills needed to become leaders by working with corporate innovation and capital markets. This degree allows students to learn what is necessary to solve real world legal and business related problems. Students will have the opportunity to also support new research in business law throughout their studies.
- Tuition: $2,176 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, LSAT Scores, Personal Statement, Bachelor degree and Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, Resume
8. University of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois (16 Points)
Enrolling at the University of Chicago will give students the rare opportunity to earn a joint law degree as well as an MBA, at the same time. This will allow students to not only pursue their passion for a Business Law degree, but also allow students to learn about the much needed business skills to fully put the law degree to good use.
This program can be completed in three years, making it similar to other available law degrees. The goal of the program is to give students the foundational basics needed to earn a law degree, while still allowing students to custom create their course of study in business management and economics courses, creating a customized degree. This is perfect for students who wish to pursue a career in the area of the world where business and law intersect.
- Tuition: $2,567 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, Bachelor degree and Transcripts, LSAT, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, Resume
8. Duke University – Durham, North Carolina (16 Points)
The Law program at Duke University offers students the opportunity to concentrate their Law degree in several different specialties and select areas. One of the top areas for law offered at this school is the available courses in corporate, commerce, and business law. This concentration gives students the opportunity to explore basic fundamental classes, as well as accelerated advanced courses and topics for study.
Basic courses for study include Principles of Commercial and Bankruptcy Law, Basic Federal Income Tax, and International Business Transactions. Advanced Courses include Federal Banking Regulation, Global Capital Markets, and Securities Litigation. There are several courses available for students to study exactly the course curriculum they intend.
- Tuition: $2,541 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, Bachelor degree and Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, LSAT Scores, Optional Essay, Resume, Personal Statement, LSAC Registration and Report
10. University of Virginia – Charlottesville, Virginia (14 Points)
The University of Virginia gives students the opportunity to pursue two of their interests with a combined course of study. This degree allows students to earn a Business Law degree while also completing an MBA. Students will require just one additional year of education in order to earn the two degrees simultaneously.
The goal of this program is to set students up with the real world knowledge for how a business runs and operates. By giving students the insight needed to run and manage a successful business they will have a better understanding of the way corporations work. When a legal professional is able to better relate to their client, they will be more well-rounded and more successful in the field of law.
- Tuition: $2,204 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, LSAT or GRE Score, Personal Statement, Resume, Letters of Recommendation
11. Columbia University – New York City, New York (11 Points)
The Business Law degree offered at Columbia University is geared toward helping students excel in the real, corporate world. Students will examine the way the global economy works, and the legalities surrounding global business transactions. Students will learn to be cunning and dynamic, able to switch gears quickly in order to adapt to a constantly changing legal environment.
Columbia University offers a top notch staff and faculty with years of legal experience working in all aspects of business law. Further, students will have the opportunity to participate in the Deals Workshops and exciting internships offered in one of the busiest corporate centers of the world.
- Tuition: $2,329 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, Dean’s Appraisal, Resume, Statement of Purpose, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, LSAT Scores
12. Georgetown University – Washington, D.C. (10 Points)
One of the most prestigious Law Schools available in the United States, Georgetown University offers students the exciting opportunity to pursue a Business Law Degree focusing on the fundamentals required to be a successful lawyer. Students will be able to complete their studies with a combination of experience and coursework.
Georgetown University gives students the ability to learn from the top business legal professionals in the world, with a full faculty of professional lawyers and educators. Further, students will enroll in a mentoring program allowing students to work alongside with members of the faculty who have an interest and passion in students’ individualized concentration. Lastly, students will receive a well-rounded eduction with the chance to enroll in rigorous and detailed coursework, designed to set students up for success in the real world.
- Tuition: $2,213 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, LSAT Scores, Bachelor degree and Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, Personal Essay, Resume, Conduct Statement, Optional Essay Response
13. University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, Michigan (9 Points)
The Business Law degree program offered at University of Michigan is designed to create ethical and professional business leaders in the world. Through fundamental principles in law, as well as a focused specialization and concentration with specialized course work, students will the opportunity to earn a law degree from the University of Michigan.
While students will certainly learn the basic ins and outs of Business Law, the University of Michigan focuses on the key decision making process from businesses and their leaders. This helps students and future professionals make logical and ethical decisions to better their company, and their communities. The University of Michigan is dedicated to creating thoughtful and caring business leaders who exhibit socially responsible behavior.
- Tuition: $2,706 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, LSAT Scores, Personal Statement, Resume, Letters of Recommendation
14. New York University – New York City, New York (4 Points)
The Business Law degree from New York University gives students the opportunity to learn in a fast paced and dynamic environment in one of the business cities for commerce and business in the world. Students will have the chance to focus their studies on a number of different legal fundamentals and specialties including Business Law.
There are several available concentrations for students to pursue, however New York University specializes in Compliance and Enforcement, Corporate and Commercial Law, and Labor and Employment Law.
- Tuition: $2,872 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, CAS Registration and Form, Letters of Recommendation
15. Harvard – Cambridge, Massachusets (3 Points)
The Harvard Law School is a dedicated program that allows students to pursue a variety of different legal degrees focusing on a variety of concentrations and specializations. Ranging from real estate law to corporate law, the program at Harvard is quite extensive allowing students to narrow their focus to a very specific and concentrated program.
Students also have the opportunity to complete a dual degree, coupling a Business Law degree with an MBA, creating a well-rounded student ready to enter the corporate world.
- Tuition: $2,744 per credit
- Application Requirements: Application, Application Fee, LSAT Scores, Letters of Recommendation, Resume, Personal Statement, Bachelor Degree and Transcripts, Character and Fitness, Interview
In order to create a list of the top schools to earn a Business Law degree we have assigned a scoring system based on two measurable metrics. The first metric used was the cost of tuition per credit. If the tuition rates were given as a yearly tuition, the cost was divided in half, assuming two semesters, and divided again by 12, assuming 12 credits per semester. Schools with the lowest cost per credit were given more points, and thus a more favorable ranking.
The second metric used to score our list of top schools to earn a Business Law degree was the enrollment size within the law program. Schools with smaller enrollment numbers were given more points assuming that smaller enrollment means more one-on-one interaction between students and faculty members. The points awarded for the tuition score and enrollment score were added together, giving one cumulative score. The school with the most amount of points was awarded the number one ranking.
If your school has been featured on our list we would love to hear from you! We understand that programs and information are always changing, and we want our perspective students to have the most accurate information possible. If you notice that our information is out of date or incorrect, please let us know so we can update our website accordingly.