Thinking About Earning An Online Master’s in Management? What You Need To Know
Earning a bachelor’s degree in business can set up a path to career success, but many business professionals find that it’s necessary to move forward with higher education in order to climb the career ladder. Earning a traditional graduate degree can be time-consuming, and can interfere with career goals. Thankfully, many graduate master’s degree programs allow busy professionals to work on their own time, making it easier to balance work, school, and home responsibilities.
For professionals who are already working in the business world, it’s a good idea to check in with human resources to find out whether the company offers a tuition reimbursement program. Many companies offer to pay for part or all of master’s degree tuition as long as the employee agrees to continue working for the company for a predetermined amount of time.
Here, we’ll take a look at ten of the best online master’s in management programs currently offered in the United States.
Best 10 Online Master’s in Management
1. University of Colorado Denver — Denver, Colorado
University of Colorado Denver’s MS in Management program provides students with four concentration options, including managing for sustainability, business strategy and innovation, leadership and change management, construction engineering management. Students in this program have lifetime access to the University of Colorado’s Business Career Connections team, providing them with job announcements and networking opportunities as they forge forward in their chosen career paths.
- Tuition: Online tuition is $626 per credit for in-state students and $731 per credit for out-of-state students.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have an undergraduate bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in the United States, as well as prior work experience or GMAT/GRE scores (both are not required).
2. Granite State College — Concord, New Hampshire
Granite State College offers students a fully online MS in Project Management degree. In addition to classes in project management and leadership, students have elective options including ethical decision-making, change management and communication, theory of constraints, Lean management, communication, and more. At the end of the degree program, students have the opportunity to become certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Tuition: $314 per credit for in-state students, $590 per credit for out-of-state students.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a GPA of at least 3.0 for the most recent 60 credit hours attempted or a graduate degree with at least a 3.0 GPA, a 500-1,000 word professional statement, and two academic or professional references.
3. University of South Dakota — Vermillion, South Dakota
The University of South Dakota offers students an MS in Administration degree with several specialty options, including organizational leadership, long-term care administration, addiction studies, criminal justice studies, human resources, interdisciplinary studies, and health services administration. The program works to prepare students to take on leadership and management challenges in public, private, and non-profit organizations.
- Tuition: $466 per credit.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a GPA of at least 2.7 or a graduate degree with a GPA of at least 3.0. Students who do not meet GPA requirements may reach out to the admissions office for provisional status consideration. Students also need to submit a statement of purpose, three letters of recommendation and must have at least three years of professional work experience.
4. Michigan State University — East Lansing, Michigan
Michigan State University’s 20-month MS in Management, Strategy, and Leadership program allows students to quickly earn their graduate degree that can push their professional career to the next level. The program works to educate students in team management, leadership, human resource management, decision-making, and strategy, preparing them to work as leaders in any sector.
- Tuition: $1,090 per credit hour.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a GPA of at least 3.0 and at least three years of full-time work experience at the management/supervisory level.
5. University of Texas at Dallas — Dallas, Texas
The University of Texas at Dallas offers students an online MS in Management Science degree. In the program, students explore many areas of management, including Lean and Six Sigma processes, spreadsheet modeling, supply chain management information systems, purchasing and contract management, integrated supply chain management, cybersecurity, business analytics, and more. Students can choose from eight elective courses, allowing them to build the program that makes sense for their career path.
- Tuition: $7,869 per nine-credit semester for in-state students, $15,440 per nine-credit semester for out-of-state students
- Admission requirements: Students must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, GMAT or GRE scores (score waivers may be accepted), a detailed resume, one letter of recommendation, and a personal statement.
6. Minot State University — Minot, North Dakota
Minot State University’s MS in Management program prepares students to take on leadership challenges in the professional world or continue their education in management at the graduate level. Students graduate prepared to make supervisory decisions that move organizations forward, make strategic leadership decisions, use technology to inform decision-making and apply international business concepts to day-to-day management choices. Students also study human resources, financial management, accounting, strategic marketing, managerial communication, and more.
- Tuition: $4,365.36 per semester.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree with a score of at least 3.0 for the last 60 credit hours or submit GRE/GMAT scores (both are not required). Applicants must also submit a resume or CV, and a 500-word statement of purpose. Students who have not previously completed accounting, finance, and statistics courses will be required to complete Peregrine Academic certification (at a reduced rate through Minot State).
7. Bellevue University College of Business — Bellevue, Nebraska
Bellevue University College of Business offers an online MBA degree that focuses on business leadership, helping students to sharpen their problem-solving, decision-making, and team-building skills. Students have the opportunity to choose from many management specialties within the program, including acquisition and contract management, human capital management, human resource management, information security management, international management, general management, project management, supply chain management, and more. Students focus on several areas of study within the program, including innovation, logistics, performance, media, marketing, finance, and accounting.
- Tuition: $595 per credit.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a GPA of at least 2.5 for the last 60 credit hours, or a graduate degree with a GPA of at least 3.0.
8. Texas A&M University-Commerce — Commerce, Texas
Texas A&M offers students an online MS in Management degree, preparing students to take on leadership roles in their industries. Students study several core areas of focus, including management and organizational behavior, management research methods, operations management, strategic management, current issues in human resource management, and more. Students also have minor options allowing them to further customize their graduate education. Minor programs include finance, digital marketing, real estate, financial planning, business analytics, and more.
- Tuition: $3,820 per semester for in-state students, $7,500 per semester for out-of-state students.
- Admission requirements: Students must have an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited university, one letter of recommendation (can be academic or professional), a 500-word personal statement, and a resume or CV. Students who have an undergraduate degree in an area other than business are required to take a Business Concepts and Tools course to prepare them for success in their graduate program.
9. Embry Riddle Aeronautical University — Daytona Beach, Florida
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University offers an online MS in Management degree for students who are ready to break into leadership within their industry or organization. The program works to combine hard and soft skills to create well-rounded managers and supervisors. The courses in this program are taught in a manner that students are able to apply new concepts to their work immediately. Students have specialization options, including global management, leadership, human resources management, operations management, and project management.
- Tuition: $21,420 total program cost
- Admission requirements: Students must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 2.5 or a graduate degree with a GPA of at least 3.0. Certain prerequisite courses may be required depending on a student’s academic history.
10. Middle Tennessee State University College of Graduate Studies — Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Middle Tennessee State University offers a Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) degree in Strategic Leadership, preparing students to work as leaders who contribute to the overall success and bottom line of their organization. This program emphasizes leadership theory, organizational structure, organizational change, communication, assessment, strategic planning, and research and data analysis. At the end of the degree program, students complete a professional project that is usually directly related to the student’s career path.
- Tuition: $6,900 per year for in-state students, $17,448 per year for out-of-state students.
- Admission requirements: Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, an acceptable GPA (2.75 or higher is required for unconditional admission), three letters of recommendation, and a GRE score or professional portfolio.
Several factors were used to create the above rankings, including school name recognition, value, program length, student to faculty ratio, online resources available to students, and more. Rest assured, all the schools listed above are excellent choices for online master’s in management programs and successful completion will set students up to become competitive applicants in their fields.
Want to see your school listed here?
If you’re a faculty member, admissions official, or program director at an institution of higher learning, and you’d like to see your program on one of our future lists, please reach out to us. While we can’t guarantee inclusion, we’d be happy to learn more about your program and see if it could be a good fit for one of our future lists.
Are you a school official with updated information?
If you’re an admissions or program official for one of the schools listed above, and you have updated information for your program, please reach out to us.
If you’re ready to start or continue your higher education journey, we’ve got you covered.
We know how tough it can be to choose the right school, and we’re here to help you choose the right program for your needs.